Are Sponges Toxic?

Are Sponges Toxic? [2023 Updated!]

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

A sponge is an interesting tool. It can be used to do everything from cleaning off makeup, to washing dishes, to scrubbing the floor.

And it’s not just for your kitchen either! Sponges are useful in many areas of life, and there’s no reason why you shouldn’t take advantage of their multi-functional nature whenever possible.

When it comes to kitchen sponges specifically, you should raise a question if they’re toxic or not.

In today’s post, we’ll find out!

Are Sponges Toxic?

Yes and No. It depends on what kinds of sponges, and what kind of washing detergents you use.

The good news is those kitchens sponges are not the major source of food poisoning but always keep in mind they don contain E-coli and salmonella.

But it is always better to keep them in a proper way. Here’s how:

  1. Rinse the sponge well in hot water after each use.
  2. Dry it completely in the open air, not in a dish drainer.
  3. Replace it every six months.
  4. Throw a used sponge in a hamper that is only opened by a professional laundry service.
  5. Wash sponges at least weekly in a solution of 1/4 cup bleach in 2 liters of water.
  6. Use a different sponge for acidic tasks such as cleaning a cutting board or a countertop, and for non-acidic tasks such as washing and finalizing dishes. After each use, clean the sponge in hot soapy water, rinse well and air dry it.

3 Best Sponges In The Market

Safix Natural Non-Scratch Multi-Purpose
KMAKII Bamboo Kitchen Sponges Dish
Natural Hemp Sponges for Dishes

·         Get New Ones Every 3 Weeks

Sponges are one of the most commonly used household items. You use them to clean your dishes, wash your car, and there are even sponges out there that can help you get a better shave.

But if you use them for more than two or three weeks, they could be making you sick.

A study shows that over time, certain bacteria species like E. coli can get trapped in your sponge and become resistant to cleaning products. When you go back to using the sponge again, these toxins get released into the dishes from which you consume food making it toxic to the body.

·         Use Better Quality Sponges

Sponges are very useful tools to keep in the kitchen for cleaning dishes and other surfaces, but they can also be harmful to the environment.

Bacteria from sponges can spread into your food via affected dishes causing all sorts of issues.

While there are certain types of sponges that you should avoid using at all costs, there are eco-friendly alternatives that you can use instead.